- What KronoBase?
This is a draft universal chronology online, free, free, collaborative and multilingual.
- What is the ambition of KronoBase?
This is to build our common memory to humanity. We hope KronoBase become truly universal. But we also know that this is a tool, and that events are meaningful when the historian establishes their causes, consequences and their sequences, and emerging trends and discontinuities in history.
- What areas affected by KronoBase?
KronoBase is a draft universal chronology. All events of human history have their place in KronoBase, whatever their ages, their fields, or their importance. The only thing that matters is their veracity
- Is KronoBase project linked to Wikipedia project?
No, but we believe the Wikipedia project is an exciting experience and we are inspired in part. We decided to also build a system based on good will and confidence but also on scientific rigor and respect for academic competence.
What is an event?[edit | edit source]
It is a human action or the result of human action, if true.
- Who can enter an event?
Anyone can enter an event or change. It is not necessary to be a historian or even to register. However, register and open an account on KronoBase provides access to more opportunities for those who want to get involved in the project.
How to hold the event?[edit | edit source]
- Date : it consists of year, month, day and time (hour, minute, second). Only the year is a required entry. It can be positive (AD) or negative (BC), but it is necessarily less than the current date because KronoBase records only manifest facts, not forecasts. If the date is unclear, you can check the box "about." It's always the local time to be specified (UTC for a localized event in space or on the moon).
- About : Indicates an approximate date for a particular ancient date, or for events expressed by a temporal expression, which should be kept in chronological order in a series. It applies to the smallest unit of time informed.
- The description of the event : This is the most unified action possible and proven (or rumor or assumption). Its formulation must be both factual, precise and concise. Precise enough to sense concise enough for the events is readable and that most appear. To remain as factual as possible, avoid metaphors and value judgments. Let also anachronisms, especially regarding the names of people or places, or historiographical names later for the event.
- The geographical area : It is the geographical area where the event takes place, regardless of the nationality of the protagonists. These zones correspond to the current political division (UN members over Palestine and Taiwan facto independent, and areas "Space" and "Moon" where also running now the human adventure), and thus with their current name . At sea or in the air, the area closest to the starting area or the arrival area will be relevant in each case.
- Categories : To be a series of events, it is possible to identify for each event up to 10 categories, keywords or labels in some way. By default, upon initial entry, the geographical area is placed as the first category. In order to homogenize the collective seizure and ease, it is recommended to enter in order:
- geographic categories (zooming)
- then the players in the events, human (as First Name, use or notorious name precisely to allow the alphabetical search and disambiguation) or organizational,
- then the thematic categories (from the specific to the general).
- Rank : To facilitate the categorical chronologies, as the user wants most or go into the details of the story, he can select 3 levels of accuracy:
- "+" To get only the most salient events hinges,
- "=" For a medium level of precision,
- "-" To get all available events on the category.
This assumes of course that, when entering categories of events, his "rank" is informed. By default, all categories are placed on the row "-".
- Links : The events on KronoBase being synthetically formulated to allow more information on a given event (context, circumstances, causes, impact, etc.), it is possible to add links to websites of information (carefully avoiding purely commercial links).
- The source : It is recommended to grasp the source of the information, if possible the most reliable primary source.
Only seizures of the year and the event are required.
How to participate in KronoBase?[edit | edit source]
KronoBase is a collective project, and opportunities to participate are manifold.
- You can help to enter new events, regardless of the field
- You can participate in editing existing events must eventually correct their formulation in terms of spelling, accuracy, or homogeneity, complete insufficiently informed events (including their categories), and of course check their accuracy; we must also be attentive to malice that Deplete the base instead of enriching
- You are academic historians? You can participate in the validation of existing events
- You can participate in the development of site features: the current site is a blank, there are a multitude of improvements, you have ideas? develop you know? let's talk about it !
Import-export[edit | edit source]
It is indeed possible to directly import your base in KronoBase database: email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Who owns the information entered?[edit | edit source]
The information belongs to those who seize it.